I love your virus

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 05/04/00-01:31:49 PM Z

Hi:

Yow!

I read about the virus early this morning. Before reading my alt-photo
email, I tried to get onto the antivirus web sites to pass on some
information, just in case this virus might to through the list... I should
have known...

My weekly and monthly reminders state that viruses can and will be sent
through this mailing list, and that there is nothing I can do to prevent
this.

I also recently added a statement to the effect that this is a free
service and does not come with any contract or garantees.

If your computer is critical to the work that you do, you should be very
cautious using it with the internet, especially if you run Microsoft
Windows, and use Microsoft Office.

The mailing list uses a list manager package that came with the system
of the computer the list lives on. The University agreed to host the list
as a public serice to the academic community because it would not cost
anything, or create significant work for system support.

If this system was not already available I would not be able to host the
list. Using a different list manager would involve having one of our
systems people install, manage and support an additional package. This
would cost the University time and money. The University may upgrade its
list manager, as it hosts more lists, but they are not going to do this
just for me ;)

I have asked (for the third time) to see if there was a way to block
attachments. I'll see what they say.

For all the systems people its the mailserv program running on a

OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V7.2

Gord Holtslander
List manager

(at least photohst didn't get this virus ;) )
Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2