Re: enlarging vs. contact prints

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/04/00-08:34:46 PM Z

garimo wrote:
> ... The iron based processes are exposed with ultra
> violet light...and until someone invents one, your enlarger does not
> make UV light.

Actually enlarger lights do produce some UV and blue light that can
expose iron based coatings. Or BL bulbs can be placed into a cold light
head. The problem is that after going through all the optics and
projection, the exposure time is rather lengthy.

A more accurate answer to Jarred's question may be that enlargement will
work if given enough exposure time. Unfortunately, the length of time
is too long to be practical for most printers. However someone may wish
to take the enlarger route rather than the expense and time of making
enlarged negatives. Although I know that for Pt/Pd degradation of the
print can happen if the coating sits around for more than 4 hours (and
certainly for half a day). Also a big advantage to making an enlarged
negative is that many refinements to the image can be made through the
positive negative sequence, masking, analog or digital manipulation.

Please let us know the results if you decide to use the enlarger route
as I have never seen or heard of any Pt/Pd print being exposed in this
manner.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/