Re: enlarging vs. contact prints

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 05/04/00-08:05:12 PM Z

>I am speaking specifically about using an enlarger to project a negative
onto
>paper versus contact printing. Ideally, I'd like to use pinhole photography
>with some alternative processed paper/glass as a negative, but info on
>projecting negatives onto alt processed paper would be a great start.

O.k. Jarred,
 Here are my thoughts. The iron based processes are exposed with ultra
violet light...and until someone invents one, your enlarger does not
make UV light.
 There are many ways to make large negatives for alt. processes and
each make for a final print with different qualities . If you want to
make pinhole negatives... my suggestion would be to build some kind of
pinhole camera that you can use with the arista lith film that you can
get from Freestyle in southern california. You wouldn't be able to go
far from a darkroom with your camera until you have your exposure time
tests finished. The lith film is darkroom safe and you can load and
unload your camera under safe light and develop the film in the same
chemical trays that the rest of a class may be using for black & white
printing. And then again, you may want to have a tray of developer
diluted to the proportions you'll want for your negs.
 Are you in a alt class? are you learning on your own?...I personally
would skip the idea of trying to make a neg with liquid light on
glass... Have you considered making photograms with objects on coated
papers? so many things to do...
garimo