Re: Gum prints by enlargement

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 05/05/00-08:12:41 AM Z

There is UV in typical strobe tubes. The manufactures try hard to get rid
of it, but can't. You'll pay extra with many strobe systems to by tubes
with special (slightly yellow) glass that decreases the UV output. The
problem is that the UV reacts with some items and then they record too blue
on color film.

I was teaching an alt class (gum that night) at a friends studio about a
year ago. The studio owners session ran late, into my class time. He was
set up about 12 feet from us, and turned his modeling lights off (so that he
wouldn't fog our paper). All the paper was fogged that night, apparently
from the small number of 2000WS flashes from across the large room.

So, bottom line: It might work. But, you want a brute force high output,
cheap (simple clear glass tube) head. Let us know what you find.

P.S. My friend (the studio owner) is now engaged to one of the students in
that class. It was a good thing his session ran late ;-)

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com