Re: ILOVEYOU

From: Campos & Davis Photos (photos@campos-davis.co.uk)
Date: 05/05/00-01:30:22 PM Z

OK, so please let those who use Outlook know how to disable this
function. I am not computer illiterate but I have never seen this.

Campos & Davis Photos
6 Cranbourne Road
London N10 2BT
Tel/Fax + 44 (20) 8883 8638
email: photos@campos-davis.co.uk
WEB SITE: http://www.campos-davis.co.uk

----------
> From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
> To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
> Subject: Re: ILOVEYOU
> Date: Friday, 05 May, 2000 7:34 PM
>
> At 11:37 AM 05/04/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >What the hell?!
> >
> >First off, I thought there was a rule against posting files to the
> >list...
> >
> >Second, a Visual Basic Script... Oh sure, why don't I just run
it and
> >see which files disappear...
> >
> >This breaks so many rules of computer security I could spend an
> >afternoon just listing them...
> >
> >Keith Krebs
> This is a long and somewhat off-topic thread so I suppose I
shouldn't
> add to it but...
> Those using computers to communicate need to educate themselves
about
> viruses. The information is available at several web sites. Those
operated
> by any of the manufacturers of anti-virus software or the IBM site
or
> several others have tutorials about the various nasties which can
get into
> your computer. A reliable source for information about ILOVEYOU is:
> http://www.fedcirc.gov/hotindex.html
>
> One good precaution is to set programs like Outlook Express so
that they
> don't automatically run Visual Basic scripts. Unfortunately, this
program
> installs with the settings defaulted to automatic. I believe the
new
> version of Eudora can also automatically run executables, although
maybe
> not scripts. Mine installed with this option turned off but its
worth
> checking.
> The internet was never intended to be a high security
environment and