Re: Cyanotype Questions

From: Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Date: 05/09/00-07:25:04 PM Z

Hey all,

I'm still reading, just not posting not lately. I've been
doing a lot of New Cyanotype work this last six months.
I've done quite a number of variations with the acid
developers, and here is what I know.

Nitric Acid - very dilute (between .5% and 1.5% in my tests)
- the benefit of Nitric is that the "solarization" from
overexposure is remedied quite quickly - allowing you to
step the skip of using a dilute hydrogen peroxide bath if
you want to see the results instantly.

Hydrochloric - at a similar dilution. Acts similarly, but
doesn't help much with the solarization.

Citric - my favorite. Mike told me that there is some
chance that the image may fade if left in strong light for
long periods AND is wash insufficiently. The fading is not
permanent though, he says, and can be fixed by putting the
print in a dark space for a day or two where it has some
exposure to oxygen (i.e. not a drawer).

I've also experimented with adding tiny amounts of Ammonium
Dichromate for contrast control. I've used drops of .25,
.5, .75% in 1ml of sensitizer and it seems to help getting
more contrast. Varying the acid concentration is another
variable.

My only real advice, however, is coat carefully, dry
thorough, and wash thoroughly. Too much sensitizer will
result in a terrible blotchiness, so use the least possible.

Hope that helps,
Adam