chemistry question

From: Joe (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 05/10/00-08:27:11 AM Z

Hello Everyone,

Well the semester is wrapped up and now I can get back to the important things in life, making pictures! A student asked me earlier this year how to make the metal salts for platinum and palladium printing. The poor student received my stock safety lecture and was referred to her advisor for enrollment in a chemistry class. This set me wondering, what is the actual yield from the reduction of platinum and palladium? My chemistry math is very rusty and usually makes my brain hurt. So to appease my curiosity, could one of the more chemistry inclined folks out there answer this question. After reduction in aqua regia, how many grams of palladium chloride well be had from one gram of palladium metal?

Oh yes, I have no interest in making the stuff. In my grad school days (AKA flat broke) I made silver nitrate in my parents yard. I darn near killed the tree I was working under.

thanks,

Joe Portale