Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints.

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/12/00-02:21:59 AM Z

Hi

Further to my last I forgot to mention that the ferrotyping tins which I
remember were just flat metal plates which had been coated with a high gloss
lacquer- before you used them you basically polished them with a wax polish.
The plates had holes in them which allowed you to hang them up for drying.
You used both sides of the tin, and the prints just popped off when dry.

(There may well have been other methods- I'm not _that_ old!)

That was about 1972 when I got my first job on a local paper and the tins
were old then and not in perfect condition, which is why we had moved to a
glazer/dryer.

However, from memory and doing a little lateral thinking, the finish on the
tins was quite a lot similar to a traditional car finish- apply a paint
coat, cut to a high gloss and then polish with wax to a brilliant shine- so
if anyone has contacts in the car finishing business, or perhaps is teaching
in an institution where such skills are also taught, they should be able to
get something similar made up quite easily. As for the wax polish- Turtle
Wax would probably do the trick!

Rod