Re: has anyone ever tried holographic photos

From: Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: 05/12/00-02:35:46 PM Z

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Jarred McCaffrey wrote:

> This is on the other end of the alt process spectrum. It is certainly
> not an out of date process that has been replaced by simpler commercial
> products (that are not necessarily better), but it is a process that is
> not mainstream for photography.
>
> Recently, because of improvements in technology like cheap laser
> pointers, the holography process has become much cheaper and can be done
> out of the lab by amateur photographers. I know very little about it,
> and wondered if anyone had tried it. Who knows, it may be a medium that
> some of you have not thought about before and you may want to try it.
> It is simple enough to do that it has been demonstrated to students in
> elementary and high school, so don't get scared away by the high tech
> sound of "hologram."

You are not alone here. I posted a similar question a year or two ago. I
also tend to think that there is a lot yet to be discovered in the
photographic imaging realm. I see no reason that we need to be
exclusively focused on historical processes, and driven by the maxim of
"that's just the way it's always been done".

With some effort it seems that some very interesting work could be done
using existing holographic technology. We should also be able to apply
holographic techniques, and modern materials to improve on the old
Lippmann color process too
<http://www.nobel.se/laureates/physics-1908.html>.

- Why not apply modern research methods to our testing? One at a time
   variable testing for processes with strong variable interaction is
   simply not good science!

- Why only limit our scope to old processes or variations on old themes?

- Why only limit our methods to the use of old materials such as gelatin,
   and gum?

> I hope someone finds this useful or at least interesting.

Yes indeed!

> Here is a link to a complete description of the process. The emphasis
> is on low budget, so this should be a great starting point for anyone
> (including myself) that has never tried this before.

Uh, where exactly is the link?

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)