Re: Gelatin chase

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/12/00-02:42:44 PM Z

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Witho Worms & Jorien van Santen wrote:

> I have been looking around for gelatin in Holland and got a 250, a 120 and
> today a 180 bloom. The man who contacted me asked me weather the gelatin
> had to be acidic (as most gelatins in food are) or non acidic, as gelatins
> in photographic industry are. Has anyone more information on this subject.
> I never heard about this, as he called it, gelatin A and gelatin B.

Witho, I think I can answer your question with a definite yes, no and
maybe.

That is, many of us in the US use food gelatin (Knox), and in every test
I've applied (so far) it beat the photo gelatin, tho clearly that's only
my own working conditions. In fact the so-called "photo gelatin" didn't
clear at all in some cases. On the other hand, folks on this very list
have declared they find PHOTO GELATIN better. And, I'll add, my latest
tests with Photographer's Formulary photo gelatin were relatively OK, tho
in fact that gelatin was 10 years old -- I can't guarantee it's still the
same, and that was just one set of tests.

Is that perfectly clear? (Sorry.)

Judy