Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints. (original question)

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 05/14/00-02:03:16 PM Z

Judy wrote:>
> And here I am on the other side of the ditch, still hoping for a gloss for
> gum.. Have tried numerous approaches, only one of which was even partially
> successful -- but that might work better on one-coat chrysotye than on gum
> with its varied hills of emulsion. That is, several coats of Renaissance
> wax. Rub on a coat. Polish, then rub on another. After several coats, the
> print DOES get a deepening shine (I read about it on this very list, BTW).
> Trouble is, a HELLUVA lot of work, not feasible at all for a 16 by 20 gum.
> Also the number of coats gave more gloss to the clear paper than I wanted.

Judy, I'm sure you've heard both these suggestions before. They've worked
for me:

1) A final coat of gelatin that I harden in dilute formaldehyde but that you
might harden in glyoxal has sometimes given just the sense of depth that I
needed to consider a print complete. It is not exactly glossy, but more of a
luster surface.

2) Apply ammonium bichromate/gum arabic emulsion without any pigment and
give just enough exposure to go from orange to beige. Clear in sodium
bisulfite when dry after development. This gives a slightly glossier look.

Sarah Van Keuren