Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints.

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/14/00-02:33:35 PM Z

Hi
I've annotated
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2000 08:53
Subject: Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints.

> At 11:06 AM 05/14/2000 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I actually thought we had moved on from here, but it seems not.
> >

> I probably should not respond to this. I certainly do not want to
start
> a flame war here

My recollection is that you are the one doing the disagreeing

> I have no misunderstanding of the process.

Your published opinion makes that very questionable indeed

>This is the sort of thing that can be tested by
> practice rather than by opinion.

Are you suggesting I have not carried out these practises? I find that
offensive. My route into professional photography was the hard one- through
the darkroom. Though for many years now I have made a thoroughly
comfortable living as a professional photographer, I am not about to forget
the time I spent printing (and glazing) other people's work, not am I about
to forget the wonderful grounding in this business that that gave me

> I think that the conclusion that the discussion must be boring to
others
> is based on the existence of our disagreement rather than anything else.

It is boring- you're wrong and it's time you admitted it

> As far as mentioning Tintype, the term ferrotype to mean producing a
> glazed surface is pretty much an American practice, its called glazing
> elswhere.

Not in UK, at least in professional circles, as I have already made clear.
Here the separation between the use of the wax surface and the metallic is
well understood.

Why did you bother to attack this unless you just want to attack
> anything I say?

I didn't bring up the subject of tintype, you did.

Further, I do not seek to attack "anything you say". I fully accept, having
read your contribution to this and other groups for some time, that you are
very well read on the subject of photography, and I have more than once
picked up snippets of useful information from you. However, this does not
mean that you are always right, and I am not in the habit of allowing myself
to be corrected by someone who has not taken the trouble to get his facts
straight.

I'm not going to reply to any further comment on this unless it is off-list.

Rod