Nelson Gold Toner

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/15/00-09:07:30 PM Z

All,

Does anyone know if Nelson gold toner (NGT) has a limited storage life?

 I've used NGT twice and have been very pleased with each of the two toning
sessions, but after each use when I attempted another toning session I was
unable to achieve a toned print.

During each session I only toned a few prints (far less than the rated
capacity for a 1 liter mix). After each session I returned the NGT solution
to its original container and replenished with the replenishment solution at
the quantity specified in the Darkroom Cookbook.

After my failure with my first mix I dumped it thinking that it may have
been contaminated somehow, after the second failed session with a different
batch I saved the solution. This was about a year ago. I now need to tone
some 16x20 prints with NGT and that means I need about 2 liters of fresh NGT
which means $$$. As I don't usually have a lot of prints to tone I'm a bit
reticent to purchase another mix unless I can resolve this problem. The
print that needs to be toned is one that is to be sold. The sale was based
on the purchasers review of an 11x14 sized print toned in my second toning
session. To me NGT yields a sepia/brown tone that I can't match with another
toner (perhaps I am being too discerning) and since I'm selling the print I
want to meet the buyer's expectations.

As you may know when using NGT the toning solution needs to be heated to at
least 110F. I've been microwaving the NGT solution so I don't know if that
may be a factor that would cause it to fail somehow.

Any comment or suggestions?

Thanks,

Don Bryant