Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints. (original question)

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/16/00-01:31:09 AM Z

Hm

I had a funny feeling that might happen. I think it's back to an in depth
study of the support paper and how to get sufficient thickness of gelatin
that it can form a smooth surface over any irregularities in the substrate.

What about producing the print in the normal way and then adding layers of
gelatin later to build up the thickness? I think you may have to experiment
with hardeners.

I don't see you getting there quickly with this, because I think you're
going to have to do some exhaustive research into papers and gelatins, but
persevere- if you can get it to work you'll have developed an entirely new
technique, which has to be worth something.

A final thought- have you considered getting in touch with Ilford (since
you're in UK), letting them know what you're trying to do and seeing if any
of their research people could help? They might be chary about giving away
technical secrets of advantage to a competitor, but the idea has potential
for some good publicity for them- might help.

Rod