Re: Still learning Pt/Pd

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/16/00-07:40:45 AM Z

Eric, Jeffrey and All,

Thinking that perhaps the use of heat in the preparation of my last batch of
Ferric Oxalate (you may recall the thread about boiling water for that
purpose) I prepared a new batch of FO and printed both the new and older
without any H202. The results indicate no readily discernable difference
between the three prints (the third being the original one that caused this
thread). Although the one from the new FO (no heat) *might* have the tiny
bit more detail in one area.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, this leads me to believe that I have a
digital neg from a Lightjet 5000 that has a contrast range greater than the
potential of my printing method. Not having a sensitometer, I'm not able to
provide any specifics.

This method includes equal amounts of FO and PD, applied with a half inch
(home made) plexiglass rod (idea provided by William Laven) developed in a
cold bath developer. BTW, I soak my prints in for a short time in a water
bath after the developer. They appear to clear almost immediately after
entering the EDTA bath.

Is it possible to have a neg that has a contrast range too great to print
with PD & FO???? I have not tried to print just for the shadows with my
current chemicals although recall that I was able to print those details on
RC paper.

Many thanks,

Nick