Re: Still learning Pt/Pd

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/16/00-10:37:10 AM Z

Nick, Sure, it is possible to have a negative that has too much contrast to
make a pleasing image. It is also possible to have a negative that has a
printable range but one that has a curve that would not produce a pleasing
print. Don't confuse density range with the shape of the curve. I recently
received a digital negative to print and a curve had been applied to this
negative that was supposed to make a good print. It had fine detail but
produced a print to had too much contrast. Fix? to make a print using a rather
warm developer. THere are many aspects of your printing process that my be
quite different from those providing information about digital negatives.
Either adjust your printing method or adjust your negatives.

Print contrast is effected by not only your ferric oxalate, but a combination of
type and temp of developer, ratio of coating mixture pt to pd, printing
humidity, type of light used, etc. Choose from a list of possible changes to
make to your process, make one and plot the results.

Good luck
EJ Neilsen

--
Eric J. Neilsen