Re: Ferrotyping Alt. Prints. (original question)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/16/00-12:49:58 PM Z

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Andre Fuhrmann wrote:

> ... I use a
> water-based ACRYLIC DISPERSION at a very high dilution for sizing.
> Now, this dipersion is available in two types, matte and glossy. Of
> course, for sizing I use matte. But, and here comes the suggestion,
> for a glossy finish, the GLOSSY dispersion may do the finishing job
> very well. It is "art-proof", containing no substances harmful to
> papers or colours, and because it is water-based, it does an
> absolutely clean job on any kind of paper. The brand I use is "K6"
> available from www.kremer-pigmente.de. The company also runs an arts
> supply shop (w/ mail order) in NYC.>

Andre, you're practically taking the words right out of my mouth, that is
I am concluding that the only hope is some kind of applied varnish. I have
right now on my table a package of powder from TALAS, labelled acryloid
B72, "dissolve in methanol or xylol." I haven't done it yet, because
(aside from so many tests, so little time), have no notes on approximate
proportions & meaning to see what TALAS has to say. (They're GREAT on
supplies, less so on info.)

However the idea of water-based is excellent. There's a lovely Kremer
across town on Elizabeth St., will collect some. The advantage of the
water-base is ease of use, but I suspect the solvent-based could be
removed more readily were one so inclined.

Meanwhile, so far I've used glossy fixative spray with fair results, ie.,
didn't absolutely ruin the print.

But how do you apply that coating? Brush or spray? And you're sizing
watercolor paper for gum printing with it ???? Is it water soluble when
dry? But hmmmm, I wonder about that acryloid !!??

MANY thanks,

Judy