Re: Still learning Pt/Pd

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 05/16/00-04:31:25 PM Z

Judy and Eric,

I also have recently printed a 21 step negative which didn't provide any
enlightenment - it printed just fine. Once again, I have no densitometry so
I am unable to compare the steps to the areas in question.

There is one point I must reiterate here - the problem I'm experiencing is
*very subtle*. Not a huge deficiency that makes the print unsalable, but
one that many on this list (several names come to mind) would be sure to
question. I may be expecting more than the process is capable of.

Maybe one of you would like to spend a weekend on the beautiful Mendocino
coast and make a personal assessment - I live in a planned community
overlooking the Pacific, called Sea Ranch on the Mendocino/Sonoma County
line in Northern California.

Eric - I am very interested in your suggestions regarding temperature and
the mixing of PT & PD to control contrast. I have nothing in my archives on
this and I don't believe I have ever read about either method. Is there
anything posted that you can recall?

Once again many thanks,

Nick

PS After preparing this post, I realized that I do have a densitometer of
sorts (Photoshop).
I pulled out the ZIP disk that the neg(s) were prepared from (6 in one TIF
file) - created as a Photoshop file and saved to the Zip Disk as a TIF file.
The areas in question on these prints are much to close to the high and low
ends of the spectrum - 0 and 255. When creating these images, I took great
care to make sure that no area was below 10 or above 240. At some point
during the conversion to TIF, the range changed - will need to test that.

Thx