Re: Still learning Pt/Pd

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/17/00-01:33:57 AM Z

Nick, First I would love to come back to northern California. I grew up in San
Jose and lived in SF during the mid to late 80's.

Back to Platinum...... I'm sure that over the years several discussions have
included the use of temperature of the developer to control contrast. Warm
gives a softer image and cooler giving a print with more contrast. If you are
using Potassium Oxalate you might find that a simple change from room temp to
say 85 to 90F will bring you into where you want to be. It will also warm your
print color. Mike Ware printed his findings on the platinum and palladium
contrast curves. There are two platinum formulas, one using potassium and the
other ammonium. The ammonium based platinum salt has a higher concentration.
It does effect contrast more. When you start playing with contrast control by
using temperature and or coating mixture of your PT and PD your print color can
move all over the place. So if you want a specific look, than you need to
balance the changes to keep you with a print color that you want.

Much of what Mike Ware writes about in his paper on PLatinum printing ( about
1986) applies not only to the ammonium based ferric, but broadly throughout the
many combinations.

It sounds like you can print your own step scale from your zip disk info and for
go any densitometer. ( assuming your service people are consistent with their
output?)

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9