Re: off topic: medium format cameras

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 05/18/00-11:20:23 AM Z

Hi

I'm not sure I know what model you're referring to but in general Bronica
make very capable cameras. If it's an ETR whatever, then the Hass will have
better lenses, though the ETR lenses are very good. The upmarket Bronicas
have lenses that compete very fairly with Hass in real terms, and are priced
accordingly. I used an ETRs for years and only sold it when I got
a chance to buy a comprehensive Pentax 67 outfit. I thought it was a great
little camera, but the fact that I sold it must tell you something.

I've also had a Hassie (500c) and I liked it too but it was elderly and
basically not very reliable. They are great cameras, but unfortunately they
have been a favourite with pros for decades; an older Hass may have been
subjected to some pretty intense use and I'd want it to be very carefully
checked over unless you actually know that it was bought new by Uncle Fred
who only put 6 films a year through it..........They do have that certain
something, I must admit, but you pay for it- like Leica Ms they command more
than you would expect; unlike Leicas (until very recently) there is plenty
of competition.

On balance for a first step into MF I'd probably, bearing in mind we don't
know which models are under discussion, advise the Bronica. Extending your
range of lenses will be less expensive for one thing.

(Going to get roasted by the Hass mob now......)

best

Rod