Re: off topic: medium format cameras

From: Kerry Swartz (kerry@ksphotos.com)
Date: 05/18/00-01:03:48 PM Z

Here's my two cents worth.

Until last year I had a complete Hasselblad system, 2 bodies (500 C/Ms), 4
A12 backs, 50, 60, 100, 120 Macro, 150, 250 CF T* lenses, extension tubes
galore, shades, filters . . . the whole shebang.
Sold it all and don't regret it for a minute.
I got a Mamiya RZ 6x7 system with 3 lenses, 2 backs and love it.
With Hasselblad, unless you're going for square prints, I feel it's really a
645 camera for many applications, including architecture, people and
product.
The Mamiya is larger and bulkier but for me it's a no brainer tradeoff with
a revolving back and built in bellows. I carry less equipment and can do
more with it. However, I am not a fan of Mamiya's prism and prefer the waist
level finder.
In terms of lens sharpness, German vs. Japanese optics, I personally think
Mamiya's lenses are as sharp as Zeiss, but this is completely subjective.
Said differently, I can't tell this difference and it's sort of moot when
you hang cheap filters, soft focus and diffusion in front of them.
In terms of Hasselblad equipment as an investment and holding its value, I
would encourage someone who'll be actualy using their equipment to consider
that a) Hasselblad continues to introduce newer designs and cheaper lenses,
and b) Hasselblad equipment on eBay doesn't go for what it did a year ago.
Finally, if I want square images, I use my Rolleiflex.
Take care,
Kerry Swartz