Re: Platinum print stain

From: Wayde Allen (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: 05/19/00-09:44:48 AM Z

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:

> Wayde Allen wrote:
> > ... Platinum is also a chemical catalyst and could cause rapid aging of the
> > support paper.
>
> Please explain this.
>
> The platinum left in the paper is metallic platinum, a nobel metal.
> There are many catalysts incorporating platinum and large molecular
> surface areas, but I have never known this scenario you have sited.

I've seen several references to the platinum catalyzed aging of acidic
papers in contact with the platinum image. I can't remember some of the
sources off the top of my head though. I think the Kodak book

   James M. Reilly, Care and identification of 19th-century photographic
   prints ([Rochester, N.Y.]: Eastman Kodak, 1986)

talks about this effect, but I forgot to look it up last night. At any
rate, this would be a good place to check.

With some difficulty I did locate a web reference for you. See
http://www.nehgs.org/articles/PHOTOS.htm :

   Platinotypes had a characteristic staining (transfer image) when kept
   in a folder, wrapper or paper sleeve. The image was stable with no
   fading. The paper mount, however, was often very acidic and
   discolored.

Since we are all guessing about possible causes of a brownish stain in an
old platinum image, I thought I'd mention this as a possibility.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)