Re: Waxing of Platinum Prints.

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 05/20/00-12:53:23 PM Z

DEAR VASILIOS,
    I don't know about the use of Beeswax on prints. I have been instructed
by photo archivist Jose Orracca to use Microcrystaline wax, available from
Talas in NYC, www.talas-nyc.com , softened by heat and then diluted with
benzene; one part
benzene to four parts wax. PLEASE NOTE that the benzene I am referring to
is C6H6, the cyclical hydrocarbon, NOT GASOLINE!!! This yields the same
thing as Renaissance Wax which you can buy ready made, also from Talas.
    Please note that the benzene is toxic, flammable, and the fumes are
explosive. Keep it away from the source with which you heat the wax. I
soften the wax with a double boiler then carry the softened wax outside then
mix in the benzene. It is much easier to purchase the Renaissance wax if
you
can.
                                                    CHEERS!
                                                        BOB KISS