Re: Desktop Negs with Epson 1270 printer

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/24/00-09:45:25 PM Z

Dan,

I am wondering if you have given any thought to my dilemma of getting
enough number of tones in various parts of the image. Digital 8-bit
only provides 255 (RGB values of 0 not used) and some extra (about 45)
may be obtained by offsetting the ranges of inks (black and yellow).
However there remains a critical shortage of tones especially at the
highlight end. This is much more important in a Pt/Pd print which
discriminates subtle values.

This issue of the number of tones seems far more important to the look
of the photograph than resolution (ppi, lpi). I also believe that the
restriction of tones may be responsible for making a print from a
digital negative look "digital" as compared to a print from an analog
negative. This "look" is something I have heard some master
photographers comment on as a certain lack of "photographic look or
quality" in what appears to otherwise be a fine print.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/