Re: Desktop Negs with Epson 1270 printer

From: Gerard NIEMETZKY (gerard@atxstudio.com)
Date: 05/25/00-07:02:46 AM Z

Jeffrey,

You should ask John Rudiak about the "digital" negatives we produce and the
not at all "digital" look he gets on his prints.

Regards

--
Gerard Niemetzky

More information about enlarged negatives at:

http://www.atxstudio.com/seps.htm

From: "Jeffrey D. Mathias" <jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net> Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 23:45:25 -0400 To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca Subject: Re: Desktop Negs with Epson 1270 printer

Dan,

I am wondering if you have given any thought to my dilemma of getting enough number of tones in various parts of the image. Digital 8-bit only provides 255 (RGB values of 0 not used) and some extra (about 45) may be obtained by offsetting the ranges of inks (black and yellow). However there remains a critical shortage of tones especially at the highlight end. This is much more important in a Pt/Pd print which discriminates subtle values.

This issue of the number of tones seems far more important to the look of the photograph than resolution (ppi, lpi). I also believe that the restriction of tones may be responsible for making a print from a digital negative look "digital" as compared to a print from an analog negative. This "look" is something I have heard some master photographers comment on as a certain lack of "photographic look or quality" in what appears to otherwise be a fine print.

-- Jeffrey D. Mathias http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/