Re: Jeff's Tones and 16 X 20 Negatives for $9.00

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 05/26/00-08:54:57 AM Z

In a message dated 5/26/00 10:18:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, FDanB@aol.com
writes:

> Jeff (just to clear up the issue for some who may not understand it as
> well as you) the beauty of multitone printing (as described in depth with
> neat illustrations, etc. in my book, wink, wink) is that you DO NOT
> develop your print between the two negative exposures. You simply expose
> the first negative, open your printing frame, plop the second negative
> down on your (inexpensive) registration pins, and give the second
> exposure.

Hi Dan,

Ah, that's what you meant. I sometimes do that in my print too. In
continous-tone negative, the purpose might be slightly different from that
when using printer; that is it is not to extend the number of available
tones, but sometimes it is hard to get the curve exactly right, but it is
easy to expose one negative and then adjust the exposure and development
slightly to have a 2nd negative and use the two in combination (multiple
exposure, single development).

But perhaps the term "multitone" is confusing in this case. The reason is
that in printing, multitone is used to refer to printing with different inks,
so one might think of multiple printing with different contrast when thinking
of "multitone." You can call it anything you want, of course.

>> Latest news is that there is a supplier of transparency film IN ROLLS that
>> will allow us to make 16 X 20 inch negatives for under $9.00.

That's nice and attractive. :-)

Dave Soemarko