RE: a question...

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 05/27/00-07:28:12 AM Z

Garimo-

> ... and I'm wondering if there is a standard practice of dating out there
in the real world.

FWIW - I sign, title and date my prints in pencil on the backs of the
prints. I note both the date the negative was made (as part of the title,
actually) and also the date that particular print was made and toned. I am
not a fan of dry mounting - it my custom to tip prints into overmats for
presentation. I do not edition prints, so that it not an issue for me.

I find signing on the front of the print distracting at the very least; the
same can be said about signing the mat - which, of course, can and probably
will become separated from the print at some point in time leaving one with
an unsigned print floating around.

I have committed to this strategy through my interest in 19th century
photography, and through my friendships with collectors. There is, in my
experience, historical precedent for these choices, and I believe this
strategy keeps as many options open as possible for my work down the line.

And while curators and directors want to know how I handle these issues and
what lies behind the decisions, I am not aware of museums or galleries
dictating any preferable "standard" to which we need adhere.

The issue of editioning is perhaps the most frequent inquiry - to which I
simply explain that since the images are split-toned and are therefore
essentially one-of-a-kind, editioning is something of a moot point. I go on
to explain that, in my opinion, the issue of editioning is being addressed
by noting when the image was made and toned - the assumption being that in
unlikely event the work ever becomes collectable the earlier dates will
probably become the more desirable.

But perhaps there is some assurance given to a perspective purchaser through
the giving of a cogent, thoughtful response - regardless of the choices
being made. It indicates that you have given this serious thought and have
consciously decided on a course of action.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes - Jon