Re: keeping gelatin

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@home.com)
Date: 11/13/00-11:50:00 PM Z

In Joe Portale's information on salt printing (you there Joe) he notes one
could add a 2nd coat of gelatin and harden that using formalin (37%
formaldehyde) which, as we know, is not wise to use as it may be
carcinogenic.

However, if we use Knox gelatin to make jello-like foods, what about
refrigeration as a way to keep it?

I mix my Knox with the salt to make salt prints and salt seems to preserve
things.

But, in the long run, since it is inexpensive, I try to make enough to coat
whatever paper I want to use and then it is almost exhausted anyway and I
toss it out to start anew the next time.

Jack