Re: Mercury WARNINGS

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 11/16/00-08:59:11 PM Z

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 bmaxey1@juno.com wrote:

> >>How do those of you using mercury protect yourselves against mercury
> poisoning?

some deleted - snip %<

> God help you if you take it internally by mistake. I am not sure what the
> medical solution is, but it will decompose when in your system thereby
> creating health problems you do not want.

Bob:

!Good Advice! Though it is my understanding that ingestion of mercury
presents much less of a threat than most people think. The much
greater risk comes from absorbing mercury through skin contact and
also via low pressure vapor - through the lungs (and not surprisingly
the eyes). That teaspoon of mercury dropped on the floor will
vaporize at room temperature.

-greg schmitz

Thus, if it be true that death is annihilation, then the man who
believes that he will certainly go straight to heaven when he dies,
provided he have fulfilled certain simple observances in this life,
has a cheap pleasure which will not be followed by the least
disappointment.

                                        Charles Sanders Peirce
                                        "The Fixation of Belief" (1877)