Re: chrysotype and 21 steps

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 11/17/00-05:50:43 PM Z

At 09:49 17.11.00 -0500, you wrote:
>So the density range needed for a Chrysotype is about 2.25? Can the
>process be adjusted to handle negatives of different density range?
>
>BTW, are there any good working instructions on this process posted anywhere?
>
>Sandy King

Sandy,

I don't know of working instructions other than the Article of Mike Ware
(in the bibliography of his website), John Rudiak's instructions, and an
article Tony McLean published in "camera and darkroom". All this will only
get you started.
Chrysotypes have a tendency to get grainy when you try to make the
sensitizer too contrasty, below about 12 stops, I would say. The rule: more
of "solution B" (the one with the 3.3' thiopropionic acid) gives more
contrast, but too much turns the picture grainy, and too low a proportion,
on the other hand, makes the gold in the sensitizer precipitate. Also, as
in other processes, contrasty mixtures print slower, and give less strident
colours. It is easier to get a neutral colour print with a contrasty
sensitizer, should you so desire. Paper also matters: gelatine sized paper
prints about one stop slower, more contrasty, but with more *intensive*
colours than other.
And, with lower humidities, more strident colours, and less print-out, you
don't get the self-masking effect, and therefore also somewhat more
contrast (but I am not really in this right now, because I rarely print
below 60% RH).

Lukas