Re: Mercury WARNINGS

bmaxey1@juno.com
Date: 11/18/00-01:58:18 AM Z

>>Every so often on this list someone gives us a lecture on some
>>highly toxic substance. I appreciate the fact that they are concerned
about
>>us and again I know they mean well, but really, we already
>>know about this stuff.

With all due respect, and I mean that, there are lots of folks on this
mailing list. Neither you or I know the experience level of every reader.
For all anyone knows, they will see my long post about mercury then read
other posts saying that I am too cautious and then proceed to use the
materials to who knows what end. Many folks want to be told that
everything in chemistry is safe, and will gravitate towards those folks
who pat them on the head and tell them not to worry.

I remember getting a rather angry email the last time I was a member and
posted a chemical warning. It was from someone who sells related
chemicals. The reason I got the message was very obvious to me.

You know as well as I do that chemicals often confuse people. There are
those occasional posts asking if one chemical can substitute for another.
This tells me that they are relying on a mailing list not on research. I
see all these posts asking about chemicals and there is no warnings or
disclaimers or advice given. Often they ask and perhaps some do not ask
and travel blindly down a very dangerous road.

One mail list I was a member of had a question posted about "simple
explosives" and how they could be made for the 4th of July. One
respondent posted (with no real warnings) a compound made from Ammonia
and Iodine. I will not repeat the chemical compound because anyone on
this list that gets a hankering to try it will find real problems in they
are stupid enough to try. Just a gentle breeze wafting across the
chemical well cause detonation. In relatively small quantities, it could
easily level a building. People who know nothing might get the idea to
make lots of this stuff and then they are absolutely dead. There is no
doubt that many on that mailing list knew about that specific compound as
well.

Some people rely upon the Internet for all of their information and make
foolish mistakes for their efforts. Just last week, I had a post from a
new member on a motorcycle mailing list that asked about helmet laws for
the state they planned to visit. The information given was absolutely
incorrect. Setting aside any safety issues, there was real possibilities
for tickets because the asker of the question relied on a mail list for
info they most certainly considered accurate.

I agree many on this list understand how chemicals are to be handled, but
the original question was posted by someone who obviously needed info and
asked about safety. I gave it to her and will not apologize. I used to
teach chemical safety and I gave far more information that you or most
would consider needed; and this was for soldering materials. If I were
preparing a lesson plan for handling mercury and related compounds, it
would last at least 2 hours, but I would most certainly be chastised and
derided for too much information.

If everyone feels that I am too radical when it comes to chemicals, then
perhaps the list owner should un -subscribe me so no one has to listen to
my obviously unwanted lectures on chemicals and their hazards.

Bob