Re: commercial gravure

From: Amanda Lane (amandal@clara.co.uk)
Date: 11/21/00-05:48:36 AM Z

Metro Imaging do not do it anymore as I was the person who made the Gravure
at Metro. I left in 1998 and they continued offering it but were using
polymer instead of copper.
The only people I know making dustgrain copper gravure are Lothar Osterburg
in New York and John Goodman somewhere on the Eastcoast. And someone in
Seattle and Paul Taylor somewhere on the East coast and Luc Jansens in
California. Then there is Deli Sacilotto at Graphic Studio, he made the
Maplethorpe Gravures. There are a few more, someone in Japan etc. Also some
do use a screen instead of an aquatint this method is just as good as the
aquatint. It is the person making the gravure and how they use the screen or
the dust aquatint that makes it a good gravure. I have seen both methods and
when done well they are both exquisite.
I suggest that you need to be careful with the terminology when searching:
if you refer to it as commercial gravure then you will get Rotogravure which
is a mechanised version, made with an etched drum on a press. This was and
still is used for high quality books and also used for packaging.
You can contact Lothar at photogravure@earthlink.net if he cannot do it
then he knows all the above and can refer you to them.
Good luck
Amanda Lane

--

---------- >From: Piers Cawley <pdcawley@bofh.org.uk> >To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca >Subject: Re: commercial gravure >Date: Tue, Nov 21, 2000, 10:19 am >