Re: 1% Selenium solution

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 11/28/00-11:37:16 PM Z

At 11:56 PM 11/28/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>All,
>
>I apologize if this has been explained before on the list but I am curious
>to know how to create a 1% solution of selenium toner from the stock
>solution sold by Eastman Kodak.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Don Bryant

 If you are refering to the solution for testing for completeness of fixing
its 1:9 of KRST. The 1% may come from the alternative 10% (ten percent)
solution of sodium sulfide, which is the older test solution.
 Of course, a 1% solution of KRST would be 1 part KRST in 99 parts water,
but that would be some other percentage of Selenium since Se is in the
toner in rather small amounts.
 This is used by putting a couple of drops on wetted paper and letting it
sit for two to three minutes. If the paper is completely fixed there will
be no stain. If there is any halide left the Selenium toner or Sulfide will
stain it brownish yellow. The KRST solution is more stable than the sulfide
solution and doesn't have the rotten-egg odor.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com