Blowin' dust off the 4X5

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 12/01/00-12:38:03 AM Z

Hi Gang:

It's been a busy month here in Big Wonderful Wyoming. After 5 long years
without a darkroom, I finally have my new darkroom up and running. I made
several gum dichromate test prints, using 5+ year old stock solutions of gum
arabic/pigments combined with fresh solutions of ammonium dichromate and
potassium dichromate. Beautiful prints resulted, even when using a batch of
gum and Winsor Newton Permanent Rose that smelled very sour.

Braving subzero (fahrenheit!) temperatures last weekend, I blew the dust off
my long-neglected 4X5 and descended deer trails to the nearby Shoshone
River. Dense fog, hoarfrost coating every twig and blade of grass, and a
blanket of snow combined to create the ultimate in B&W and cyanotype/gum
landscapes. I exposed over twenty sheets of HP5 and several sheets of
Ektachrome. Join me in praying to the photo gods that this old film will
not be fogged or color-shifted!

Thousands of ducks and geese came down from Canada in the wake of the cold
front, and eagles have returned as well. A neighbor's dog tangled with a
mountain lion less than 200 yards from my house, and I've been tracking the
big cat down by the river. No photos of course.... I'm guaranteed to never
see the lion if I go down there equipped with a Nikon and a long telephoto
lens. So far I've seen only lion tracks and plenty of nervous deer.

When I wasn't glued to the television listening to lawyers argue about
"pregnant chads", I read issues #1-5 of The World Journal of Post-Factory
Photography. Great publication. Thanks Judy.

Best regards,
Dave Rose aka Cactus Cowboy
Powell, Wyoming

* Tracking #: 9FE8B7F745C7D41198DE00A0C977BA15EAEACE25
*