Re: bubbles in gelatin

I size paper for carbon by brushing on a 2-3% gelatin solution (with
glyoxal added) with a foam rubber brush about 3 inches in width.
First I soak the paper, then place it on a flat surface and squeegee
it out. Then, I blot the face with a clean towel to get off all of
the excess water. To coat I use about 100ml of the gelatin solution
per sheet of watercolor paper, 22x30" size. When the gelatin sets you
can dry it on a rack or hang to dry, as you prefer. I often use
alcohol to get rid of the bubbles, but more than you, as much as 8
ounces per liter of solution.

This method is much less messy than either of the methods you
describe. In fact, there is virtually no mess at all.

Sandy