Re: bubbles in gelatin

Sandy and Judy,
> I think something other than the glyoxal caused the discoloration. I
> have never had any problem of this type with either glyoxal or
> formalin. On the other hand, I have experienced discoloration (bluish
> stain)  using Chrome alum.

The use of Chrome alum as a hardner with gelatin has given me similar
results. I've used a piece of plate glass to lay the gelanitin/hardener
saturated paper on and then gently rolled the paper with a rolling bin to
"push" the excess solution out. There were a few bubbles but the rolling pin
took care of those. One side of the paper should be marked as the back side.
This is the side that the pin rolls on which leaves the other side as the
unroughed printing surface. I got no curl after drying. The paper was
pre-soaked  in very hot water to pre-shrink the paper, then hung up to dry
before hardening. I wasn't happy at all with the blue/violet stain but I had
no "curling", only wavy paper as one would expect.

Don Bryant