Re: bubbles in gelatin

On Thursday, 12 October, Judy Seigel wrote:

>Also a wonderful delicate squeegee from Porters, a thin soft blade about
>1/4 inch high in a foot long plastic handle. I use several in darkroom
>(HIGHLY recommended) for squeegeeing wet prints & fixer, etc., but NG for
>gelatin sizing; then there are a couple of regular window washing type
>squeegees, of different thicknesses, and somewhere in closet a windshield
>wiper -- all have been tried as "squeegee" to off gelatin slosh from
>paper, none worked. I thought you might have *the* squeegee, but I suspect
>it isn't to be. Your operation and function probably too different.

Judy, I use a very light weight squeegee for getting the water off
the paper, in a holder that is about 14 inches long. The rubber is
quite soft, similar to what you would see on window washing
equipment. However, I don't use the squeegee to apply or spread the
gelatin size -- for that I use a foam rubber brush.

Actually I don't think that needs are very different in sizing. We
both are trying to get a good size in the paper even though the
resulting function is not the same.

>Meanwhile, on the bright side, mention of defoaming agents tapped into
>residual memory (or something) -- I called Kremer & sure enough they have
>one. And it's called, are you ready? *defoaming agent* ! Logging on
>tonight I find formula courtesy of Joe. Thanks Joe -- that "dripping
>soaking mess" is NOT conducive to experiment !

I await with great interest the results of your use of the defoaming agent.

Sandy King