Re: Specks on my Ziatypes

Jason,

First, examine your paper on a lightbox and see if there are dark specks
scattered through it. Even if they don't show up by reflected light,
imperfections within the paper that show by transmitted light can cause
dark specks. This happens with all papers I know of, and varies from
batch to batch.

Second, I don't know exactly what paper you have since Crane doesn't
call any of their papers "platinotype". Crane 90# Cover natural white is
an excellent paper for Pt including zia, and is sometimes called
platinotype by resellers. The flourescent white version of Crane 90#
cover is not recommended by them for platinum printing because of
numerous reports of erratic performance (though apparantly it works ok
some of the time). If that's what you've got, it could be part of the problem.

Third, if you are cutting your paper with anything that might produce
fine metal particles (knife and metal straightedge, for example) those
particles could be causing the dark specks.

Fourth, if somehow your LiPd solution has become too saturated
(evaporation?) it could be precipitating and causing the trouble.

---Carl