From: pete@fotem.demon.co.uk [mailto:pete@fotem.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 11:10 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
Subject: Re problems with Temperaprint

Garet,Henry, and Dave

>>Peter, My comments certainly were not intended to offend, and I
hope they have not.  I have seen examples of temperaprints,
both on your web site and in published articles.  They are
truly lovely, and inspired me to try the process.  I was
merely stating my experience.<<

Of course you did not offend me, quite the contrary I am most pleased to
answer  questions about the process, and you have given me the opportunity
to do just that ,thank you !

>>PS    Yes, I also use a foam roller but the coat was not
even, instead rather 'blotchy'.<<

OK the blotchy problem the first coat often appears blotchy, due to the
thinness of the coating and also Synteape /KIMDURA seems to have a sub coat
that interferes sometimes, but the main problem is often the viscosity of
the mixture which has to be just right ,if it is to wet you get bubbles
which denigrate into blotches if to viscose you get little white specks
that t that also give similar unevenness problems. to solve the former roll
out the roller on kitchen towel paper or unused news print paper and pass
the hair dryer over the coat a few times to stiffen the mix on the print
then reroll, to solve the latter add one part of basic  egg-sensitizer
,which I call STEM [standard emulsion mix ] and roll over again.
The way you roll also has an effect on the evenness of the coating don't
roll backwards and forwards, roll constantly in the same direction ie east
to west or north to south , this action seems strange at first but you soon
get used to it .

Finally don't worry about the first coat as you print the process will cure
its self and the blotches will disappear after about three coats

Our students in the School of Temperaprint often get upset at minor
imperfections in the preliminary coats, dust, bits of hair, and other
debris,only to find that they have disappeared somewhere along the line
latter on.

It is possible to roll a perfectly even coating right from the start.
The mechanical skill required as in all things worthwhile, takes time to
acquire.
 Some people just seem to have the knack, my friend and co founder of the
School of Temperaprint  Alex Chater rolls out a perfectly even each time,
whereas I am often ham fisted and produce very blotchy coates at times  So
if I can do it  I am sure that you can also, it is really only just a
matter of getting stuck in, and  as I said before the process is very
forgiving.
If you have any further trouble please get back to me and we will do a
little tutorial
over the internet wont that be fun!!

Next

>>I did indeed have to do multiple coats.
I also had to use more pigment than in Pete's recipe.
Maybe due to the brand and type used?
I used Liquitex in the squeeze tubes.
I am curious- Pete what brand/type of pigment do you use?<<

I use the  Liquitex  in little bottles as it is more concentrated, What
needs to be understood is because the image layer is very thin due to the
plastic base, a more concentrated pigmentation  is necessary  than say a
normal gum coating on watercolour paper
I also use raw pigment for the same reason.A number of  manufactured
colours are just to thin, requiring six or seven coatings to reach full
saturation

>>As Pete mentions below, I also used a small foam roller to do the coating.

Unfortunately, my images were of high contrast to begin with so may not
be the best test of the process.
They were monochromatic, and I used dark pigments.

I do plan on trying some colour separations using the process and see how it
goes.<<

There is no right or wrong negatives technically the process is easily
adapted to a whole range of  image formulations

We have done a lot work in the school of Temperaprint on colour separation
and have developed an entirely new approach to the traditional photographic
process which we intend to publish shortly as the Book of Temperaprint . so
if you need any help in this area please contact me .

>>I'll chime in to the list with an update of how it goes when I have more
time<<

Please do

Pete