Re: Off Topic - Zia/Political Correctness,was Re: specks and ziatype DYE TRANSFER INFO ADDED

At 3:17 AM -0600 10/19/00, Herbert C Maxey wrote:
>  >>2) That the USA is not the world, and that this is an International
>list
>
>True, but I refuse to learn everything there is to learn about every
>culture on the planet, just so I do not offend someone off in some far
>off land.

No one has asked you to.

>  As for the "Zia" controversy, I think it is too bad that a mere
>handful of people seem bent upon trying to wrap a PC wrapper around an
>innocuous term. A term that I would suggest was chosen not because it
>offends, but because it seems to make sense.

The examples that come to mind for the biggest
outcries of offense at the use of someone's "sacred"
symbols are the republican right's explosions over
Serrano's _Piss Christ_ and what they deem misuse
of the American flag.   I guess the difference is who's
got the power - a "mere handful" of people don't have
a right to offense while a powerful majority does.

>This PC problem is getting out of hand. We can't be free to express
>something without people getting upset.

Or having them use it to further an agenda of removing
funding from people who are critical of them.

>Besides, I joined this list to
>obtain Dye Transfer information, not to listen to some silly argument
>about some term.

I thought _Piss Christ_ was a beautiful photo and that it
had a very "alt" look.   In fact, it was what got me started
thinking about alt processes.