Re: PC or not PC

At 6:39 PM -0400 10/19/00, Robert W. Schramm wrote:
>I know this is off topic but I just had to jump in with the story
>about a town council that was approached by a NOW chapter that
>wanted the council to rename all the "manholes" "personholes."
>
>Did it happen? I don't know but it could have.

It's more likely that the local chapter of the Christian Ladies
Against Women objected to the public use of the word "hole".

>  At our college there
>are no "chairman" anymore. They are known as "chairpersons" or
>sometimes as "chair", as in, "Prof. Robert W. Schramm, Chair of the
>Department of Physics." That would be an antique, well padded chair,
>of course.

It's funny at first but you get used to it.  Would you object if they had
changed the name to "chairwoman" and used it for both males and
females in that role?

>Recently I have heard the term, "person of color." I wonder what
>color that means. I, myself, am sort of pink with white hair.

It's not the "of color", it's the "person" that gets to me.   We now
refer to black-clad art types (often a subset of the EVI (East Village
Idiot)) as "PIBs" - "Persons In Black".