Re: Scans

>Nelson:
>You can now purchase scanners in the $600 range which will do a credible job
>of scanning your large negative. ...
>Jack Fulton
>>
>>  I've got some 4x5 negatives that I'd like to scan and make into a large
>  > format negative.

I agree, Jack.  Have a look at the following sample scan from a 4x5.
I first contacted the neg on RC paper and then AGFA Snap Scanned it
at 400 dpi.  The file contains a 1x3cm cutout from the 4x5in
positive.  (Turn off line wrapping before clicking.)

ftp://afuhrman:@ftp.uni-konstanz.de//usr/local/ftp/pub/local/Philosophie/Fuhrmann/tmp/felixSample.psd

Note that I neither aimed for a best possible contact print first nor
did I use the highest possible resolution (1200 dpi).  So there is a
good margin for even better scans with that modest setup.  The
problem is not getting the information into the machine but getting
it out again, i.e. onto film.

André