Re: AN EDUCATION IN REALITY?

>>Lest we forget one of the purposes of art and that is to evoke a
response in
>>the viewer and then possibly a change of the way that a viewer sees the
>>world or himself/herself.  Art is not supposed to be just decoration,
that
>>is safe art, not real art.  Art can be aesthetically pleasing, but it
should
>>have a greater purpose than just eye candy.

Why can't art be just a pretty picture? All ready, you have defined what
real art is for me and everyone else. All art evokes a response from
someone. I like old cars. What is wrong with just a pretty picture of an
interesting object like a car?

Safe art? I assume from the comment that not all art is to be considered
real art? Here again, you have started to separate art. You are to some
extent making a judgement about what is and is not real art. If I were to
view your work, I might not like it. I might be tempted to say that your
work is not real photography, or your work is just a pretty picture, or
reminiscent of what this or that photographer has already done. You would
object at my appraisal of your work.

For me, if I like it and hang it, it is art. At least it is of my
imagination. All too often, I see work displayed that is not the least
bit original. Once one technique or photographer becomes popular,
everyone is sure to copy the style and subject matter. To me, that is
just a close second, not a photograph deserving of attention.

>>I do agree with you that some artists thrive just on shock value and we
are absolutely in a time of shock
>>art selling.  I have been told by several gallery people that my work
is
>>good, but not sensationalistic, or unique enough to get me
representation
>>with them.  These gallery people know that they can better sell
>>controversial work over more ordinary work most of the time.

Here is another problem with the "Art World" these days. It is not about
making changes, it is about making sales. Gallery owners have already
ruled on your work. In effect, told you that your work is not real work
or art. We all talk about artistic vision, but unfortunately many artists
do not paint or photograph their vision, they paint or photograph
something for the market.

I do not think too much of this because I understand that commerce is
important, too. A gallery stays in business because of sales. If not,
then they are just museums.

Finally, I think we need to get back to the purpose of this list, not
battle what is or is not art. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Bob