Re: Censorship issues

This issue of why nude photographs upset people more than say nude paintings
is a very intriguing one.  I have look at this issue several times during my
graduate project. It seems that people still perceive photographs as real,
hard evidence, and unmanipulated.  But we all know that photos are and have
been manipulated since their birth.  The mere way fact that you frame
objects within the camera field is a process of editing, altering and
persuasion.  People see reality based in photographic/film/video imagery and
this may not change for some time, possibly until the world of special
effects becomes so vast that people will realize that a photograph may be as
altered as any other medium.  This perception of photo-reality is relied
upon heavily by the advertising market.  I have a friend in the ad business
and you would not believe the amount of retouching that these ads go
through.  I was even astounded I am thought that I was aware, but our social
programming tells us that photo equals truth equals the real world, the way
that we see and interact with reality.

Gary