Re: alternative processes.

"Bussey, Linda" wrote:
>  ... What I'm trying to find out is why there has been a resurgence
>  of interest in these processes. ...

Even the "resurgence" may have a bit of history as with the Pt/Pd
process, George Tice re-stimulated interest in 1972 when he published
Caring for Photographs, a volume of the Life Library of Photography
published by Time Life Books (before the internet).  Some other
processes have not really "gone away" so a "resurgence" may not quite be
the term.

>  ... As digital imaging, the computer et al is being hailed as the
>  future of photography ...

Or perhaps the future of digital imaging may be photography.

> ... Just what is about alt processes that fires you up ...

Do not forget the simple fact that each process has unique qualities
providing a special outcome.

>  ... I was disappointed to hear that the Photo-Historica conference due to have taken place in Bath England this Oct was cancelled due to low numbers. This kind of shattered my research so far and made me question whether or not there is actually a resurgence ...

The reason, as I see it, is that the conference(s) was being attempted
too enthusiastically.  Having an international conference (APIS) every
year is far too much for the attendants as well as promoters.  Do not
forget the well organized APIS last year in Santa Fe which drew an
excellent audience as well as speakers.  And the year before in Bath,
England.  It might be more realistic to hold such a conference, at
different locations throughout the world, on a three or four year
schedule.  Such a schedule should afford more preparation time and
kindle more desire to attend.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/