alternative processes.

A big hello to everybody out there on the list.
Wondered if there was anybody out there who can spare a bit of time. I'm a part time student studying BA Fine Art and for my final year
dissertation I'm doing research into alt processes. What I'm trying to find out is why there has been a resurgence of interest in these
processes.  As digital imaging, the computer et al is being hailed as the future of photography why are some photographers/artists choosing
to go back to the roots of photography and in a sense rediscover historical processes? Just what is about alt processes that fires you up
(the mixing of chemicals, appealing to the mad scientist in us all, the hands on, coating the paper, the way image and substrate become one
, artistic input, whatever.) I've only just begun to experiment with the processes myself and do feel there is something about them. I just
need to hear from more of you to get a balanced feedback.
One interesting discovery I have found is that the atl process movement ( or Post-Factory as Judy Seigel's excellent mag calls it) is
stronger in America than the UK. I wonder why?
I was disappointed to hear that the Photo-Historica conference due to have taken place in Bath England this Oct was cancelled due to low
numbers. This kind of shattered my research so far and made me question whether or not there is actually a resurgence , in the UK at any
rate.
My apologies to anyone on the list who has already provided me with feedback on this topic.
Look forward to hearing from anybody on this.
Thanks in advance
Linda Bussey
(In wet and windy Sheffield UK)