Fwd: Successor to APIS/PhotoHistorica <fwd>

From: Richard Morris (richard.morris@brunel.ac.uk)
Date: 09/04/00-02:30:57 AM Z

I have been asked to forward the messages below regarding
APIS/Phothistorica in Bath this October

<< 01.09.2000

 Dear friends and colleagues

 I am distreressed to have to inform you that we have had to cancel the
APIS/PhotoHistorica Conference which was to have taken place between October
12 and 15 October in Bath.

 I am that this will cause you considerable inconvenience, but on our part
you will appreciate
 That the substantial effort put in by members of the RPS Historical Group
Committee and APIS will have been in vain.
 The reason for the cancellation has been the very low response(down to
single figures) from those wishing to attend the meeting, which has made it
completely unviable in spite of publicity by hand-outs, direct mail, the
internet and notices in photographic journals.

 We have waited as long as possible to get replies but have now reached the
stage when we have run out of time to mount the project. A further
complication has been the fact that our application for grant aid from the
EEC was delayed from July to September with the added
 consequential financial uncertainty of funding the conference.

 There is a remote possibility of re-instituting the conference in 2002, but
only if we are sure of the demand from timely bookings. Alternatively, it may
be possible to mount some limited exhibitions and associated colloquium as
explained in the accompanying letter.

 Yours sincerely

 Peter Agius

 Chairman, RPS Historical Group

 Dr. Peter Agius
 Thickets,
 Hinksey Hill Top
 Oxford OX1 5BQ
 England

 e-mail agius1922@aol.com

 Dear Friends

 APIS/PhotoHistorica 2000
 12/13/14 October 2000

 The letter from the Chairman of the RPS Historical Group explains why the
joint APIS/PhotoHistorica 2000 conference has had to be cancelled. The
cancellation will include the two photo fairs and the exhibition of work
associated with the speakers at the conference which will not now take place.

 Certain elements associated with the conference will, however, continue.

 It is clear that there is still a demand for a more informal and flexible
events related to the Alternative Processes International Symposium (APIS) .
 We therefore propose to hold a 'get together' at the RPS on the days of the
original conference, 12,13,14 October. As there will be no formal catering
or agenda, a programme will be arranged on the basis of those who wish to
come, the only cost will be a token payment to the RPS for the use of the
lecture theatre (about four pounds a day ).

  Those who do come will be invited to opening of The "Photogenic"
exhibition, which was to be associated with APIS/PhotoHistorica, at The
Royal Photographic Society in Bath. The University of the West of England
exhibition on photo-mechanical processes will be mounted at the Creative
Centre in Bristol, the city centres are ten miles apart, and one day, the
photo-mechanical part of APIS, will be held either at the Creative Centre in
Bristol or in the lecture theatre at the RPS.

 People will be able to attend on days or half days but we need to be told in
advance as we do not wish to breach fire regulations at the RPS (APIS in 1997
got rather crowded).

 Accommodation can still be arranged through the Bath Tourist Office:

 bath_conference@bathnes.gov.uk

 Could those who wish to come please let me know at

 takingphotos@hands-on-pictures.com.

 I will also, as things progress, notify developments on

 www.hands-on-pictures.com

 Terry King

 An excellent thing is as difficult as it is rare

--- End Forwarded Message ---

Richard Morris
Brunel University, UK
richard.morris@brunel.ac.uk