Re: Three-color gum prints

From: Garet Denise (garet@rmi.net)
Date: 09/08/00-12:06:07 PM Z

Brahma said:

>Second coating, dark green pigment, same brand as before,
same exposure,
>same development, and voila!, that green gook is not going
to come off
>that sepia print. No matter what I do. It's especially
strong in the
>highlights where it shouldn't be at all. In the end I took
a brush and
>rubbed it off, but now the print looks like a Martian had
puked on it.

Did you try the green emulsion by itself first on fresh
paper? This should be a first step.

Ditto what Judy and the cowboy said about pigments.
Different pigments act quite differently, both different
colors of the same brand, and the "same" color between
different brands. Different staining properties. Different
exposure requirements. Each must be tested individually.
You may or may not actually be having an interaction between
the two pigments.

Sizing of the paper should help.

Or in other words, "Everything affects everything."

Garet Denise
garet@rmi.net