Re: HELP!

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/17/00-10:23:41 PM Z

At 08:07 PM 09/17/2000 -0300, you wrote:
>DEAR LIST AND LIST MINDERS,
> If there is one thing I hate more than attachments sent to the list it
>is e-mails that automatically start up your connection to the ISP. There
>was one message that I received today that I was so busy trying to delete
>that I didn't even catch the name but it was about UV exposure so I assumed
>it was sent to the list.
> Even after I deleted it, it repeatedly activated my dial up mechanism no
>matter how many times I tried to cancel it and I had to re-boot my computer
>to stop it.
> PLEASE inform the individual responsible that it is INAPPROPRIATE to
>send attachments or these automatic connect commands to the list. Giving
>the person benefit of the doubt I will assume that his/her intentions were
>good but I feel we would all like the opportunity to choose to connect or
>not! Simply send an imbedded URL that we can click on IF WE CHOOSE!
> Thanks in advance to the list minders.
> CHEERS!
> BOB KISS

  From the header of your message you are using Microsoft Outlook Express.
OE has several security problems. Some can be fixed by the right choice of
"preference" settings in the program, some must be fixed by downloading
patches from Microsoft. I think you either have the program set so that it
runs scripts or so that it automatically goes to URL's in messages. The
thing is full of traps. Read through the stuff on the Microsoft web site to
find out how to set up the program so that it won't do this sort of thing.
  I looked at the messages I have archived on this thread and found only
pointers to web sites. Some mail readers (this one forinstance) will
highlight those and, if you click on them, will spawn the web browser and
dial-up. It sounds like something in your program is doing this even when
the tag is not clicked on.
    I am posting this to the list because others probably have similar
difficulties with OE.
  Mail programs should be set to send only plain text to mailing lists, no
HTML, or formatting, and no scripts.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.