Re: Alltime Best B/W Film & Paper Combination

From: Cactus Cowboy (photo@wir.net)
Date: 09/20/00-10:14:34 PM Z

Hello Richard,

My favorites? 4x5 Ilford HP5, Ilford Galerie, and Oriental Seagull. Why?
Because that's what I did all my Zone System testing with (back in 1982),
and it works for me. It's important to note that I haven't been shooting
4x5 B&W film or printing for the past 5 years. I may be in for a
surprise... are they still making HP5, Galerie, and Seagull? (I recently
learned that Kodak Super-XX is discontinued) :'-(. I was using Super-XX to
make in-camera color separations for 3-C gum prints... and I will again
since I still have a small stash of this precious film.

IMHO, it's more a matter of the photographer's skill. I'm sure we've all
seen lousy prints made on 'excellent' paper, and excellent prints made on
'lousy' paper.

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming - lots of fresh snow in the mountains this morning.